The holidays are coming!!! Are you SUPER EXCITED AND NOT STRESSED OUT AT ALL!?!?! If so – that’s great! If not – yeah, we feel you. Family gatherings can be a lot to handle, long car trips can be annoying, and sometimes you get too many repetitive questions about what you’re “up to these days.” So here are some Green Dots you can do to diffuse tension and spread good vibes!
- Check in with the people around you. If a discussion turns into an ugly argument, maybe intervening will only add fuel to the fire. Consider checking in afterwards to express concern and support for someone who was harmed.
- Cause a distraction. Is someone’s mood starting to simmer? You can intervene before they boil over by causing a distraction. Change the subject by sharing something about yourself, or if there’s work to be done in the house or for a meal, interrupt by asking, “What can I do to help?”
- Take a breather. Calmly excuse yourself. When emotions are high, sometimes taking a break to think is all you need to cool down.
- Talk about Green Dot. If they ask something like, “Are you working hard in school? What are you learning?” why not respond by sharing what you’ve learned about Green Dot? Proactively spread your intolerance for drama and all forms of violence.
- Try to remain positive. With you sending out all that positivity, the tension around you may start to look pretty ridiculous. Maybe folks around you will even follow suit.
- Reach out. Honestly, if things are really rough and you’re feeling in over your head, ask for help from someone you know and trust. If it’s a matter of safety, if you’re worried about family violence, you can call Refuge House at 850-681-2111.
Hopefully everything will be nice and chill, but if it’s not, you’ve got strategies and resources! The holidays may be tough but we think you’re pretty tough too