After soaking up the summer sun, embracing the “no homework” life, and spending some extra time with your friends, we’re officially in back-to-school mode! The new school year brings new experiences, new friendships, and new opportunities for you to be a positive force in your school, home, and community!
So you’ve been working that summer job grind, volunteering your time to a worthy cause, or maybe just watching loads of TV and scrolling through Instagram all day, but now it’s important to remember how to live the Green Dot back at school. In case your brain is a little foggy from this humid Tallahassee summer (or maybe too much ice cream and reality TV), here are some back-to-school tips for being the best Green Dotter possible:
- If you see something, say something. “Is everything okay?” “Do you need to talk?” Remember that checking in is often times the Green Dot that we do the most, so taking a quick minute matters more than we know.
- Practice how you would best apply the three D’s, so you’re prepared ahead of time. Direct, Delegate, and Distract! Think of Red Dot situations you might actually come across, like in your friend group, in the halls at school, or on social media.
- Tell your friends about Green Dot and encourage them to do Green Dots, too! The more people helping prevent uncomfortable or unsafe situations, the better.
- Reach out to trusted teachers or faculty when you’re unsure of how to handle something. They want to help!
- Always be proactive and try to stop Red Dots from ever popping up in the first place! Spread the positivity, welcome new students, and start the year off right by showing that you are not into the drama.
As you’re getting back into the swing of things, remember these tips so you can spread the Green Dot message and show that violence will never be tolerated at your school.
Let’s have a wonderful school year, Green Dotters!